Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Freezing and a Freebie

Brrr….It's freezing in California. We are gearing up for several days of freezing temperatures!! Today my car read 19 degrees. Now I know to some that probably really isn't that cold, but in California we think 55 and 60 degrees is cold. So imagine how we are all freaking out with temperatures in the teens and twenties!!  

In honor of our freezing temperatures, I made a little freebie to share!!! All you need to do is click on the picture to download the freebie. 


I got the idea from Susan at Thank God Its First Grade. I bought her terrific What's The Difference? subtraction unit. There is a great activity in it where they build numbers on the tens frame and then remove a specific amount to find the difference. My kids were super engaged with this activity and it really enforced the concept of subtraction.

So,…here is what my kids will be doing tomorrow. They will have the Sippin' On Subtraction mat below. 


They will also have the below book to do their recording in. My students will read the problem and then build it on the hot cocoa tens frames with their real mini marshmallows. Yes, I did say real marshmallows! I might even throw in some real hot chocolate since we are having these freezing temps!!! LOL!! I love to get my kids excited about learning. 


The square in the book is for them to write their answer in. The rectangle at the bottom of the page is for them to write the number sentence that goes with the problem. 

I hope you enjoy the activity! 




2 comments:

  1. Fellow Californian here, freezing in this weather!
    Thanks for the freebie!
    Jessica
    Covered in Glitter and Glue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christa, such a cute activity! Here in Missouri, we're in the teens and twenties too, which isn't uncommon. But I have a hard time adjusting to it anyway. Time for the hot chocolate and soup!

    Primary Teachspiration

    ReplyDelete

Follow on Bloglovin